Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Why It Is So Important To Follow My Predictions

It's Tuesday, you are reading my blog, courtesy of USGlass.  When this blog started it was intended as a vehicle giving practical advice to our big family in the glass industry.  Today I offer you proof of how to take my advice.

Do the opposite.

Here's the story.  In September our heating oil technician visited and did the annual tune-up on our boiler.  We have steam radiators powered by a large boiler in the basement.  He told me that everything was alright, but the boiler was beginning to look a little tired.  I asked him how he knew, and he couldn't tell me.  But he had been doing this for twenty years and it was just instinct.

I called the heating company main office and a young engineer came out, inspected the boiler, and prepared a quote to replace it...almost $6000.  The engineer said we had a couple of years left, and not to rush in to it.  He left it up to me to make the decision.

OK, you have guessed what happened.  I said 'no' to replacing it when it would be easy and no rush in September.  Yesterday, the boiler cracked.  It's done for.  Last night was 4 degrees and it got cold in the house.  Today it is going up to 20.  A heat wave.  We have gas fireplaces and a few electric heaters, so we have made the house liveable, with three layers of sweatshirts on.

When an old-timer gives you a suggestion, it pays to listen.  Now, some people think I am an old-timer, (just ask my son) but I think I am young. 

So, back to the headline, whenever I give a prediction, do the opposite.You are guaranteed to come out ahead.

No comments: