Tuesday, October 18, 2011

And This Was Supposed To Be My Final Blog

My plan was to say good-bye to the glass industry with this blog.  You see, I knew I had a lock on a new job which would have taken all my time.  The Boston Red Sox were hiring a new General Manager, and I was just the absolutely most perfect candidate they could have had.

I coached little league for 12 years, so I know how to deal with children who play baseball.  Right now that is what the Red Sox team is made of.  While my main team is the New York Mets, my American League team is the Red Sox.  After all, I live in New Hampshire, the heart of Red Sox Nation.  I even have a Red Sox hat.  I have been to a dozen games at Fenway in the last couple of years, so I know my way around the stadium.  This proves I am a loyal fan. 

It would have been tough leaving my beloved glass industry.  It has been very, very good to me over the years.  I thought, maybe, I could continue with the blog, but I realized my blogging time would now go to Sports Illustrated rather than USGlass.  I had even called some of my consulting clients and told them that I would probably be leaving.  They all understood and wished me well.

My resume went to John Henry, the Principal owner of the Red Sox.  His secretary called me to set up an appointment, and she whispered that I was the first call she made.

We had lunch yesterday, it seemed to go well.  The only sticking point was the salary.  I basically agreed to pay Mr. Henry whatever he asked.  The job-of-a-lifetime shouldn't be missed because of a few dollars. 

Then it happened.  The news this morning was that Mr. Henry hired a gentleman from in-house.  He had many years experience...blah...blah...blah.  I was crushed.

So, this won't be my final blog.  The glass industry is stuck with me.  The moral of the story is that you always need a back-up plan, no matter how sure you are of the future.

'See you' next week.

1 comment:

Earnest Thompson said...

First he couldn't get together w/ Billy Beane and now you, Paul. No wonder they have so many woes. But we'll be glad to have you stay around (even if you are a Red Sox fan).