Monday, October 18, 2010

Will This Be My Last Blog For USGlass?

I have sent out my resume, followed up with a phone call, and any day now, I expect the call telling me the job is mine.  When that happens, regretfully, my blogging days will be over. A little history here will help.

Last week the Mets, my favorite baseball team, released their General Manager, Omar Minaya, and their Field Manager, Jerry Manuel.  I am not qualified to be the field manager, even though that is tough to admit.  But, there is no doubt in my mind I can do the General Manager's job.

Here is my list of qualifications that I sent to Fred Wilpon, the owner of the Mets.
  • I love baseball and will never skip out of work.
  • I met Fred Wilpon once, shook his hand, and he said it was an honor to meet me. I am sure he will remember that as our first interview.
  • I ran the annual player draft at our youth baseball league for many years.  I learned how to qualify players skills and attitudes.  (Really, the main reason a kid was drafted was whose Mom made the best team snacks.)
  • I have been to hundreds of Mets games, and still watch every game, even here in New Hampshire.
  • I have actually thrown out a first pitch at Mets game, met all the players, and they showed me great respect.  It would be easy to pick up from that point.
  • I collect baseball cards, so I know all the player's stats, and know who to trade for.
  • Negotiating my salary will be easy...I will pay whatever Mr. Wilpon wants.
So that's my story.  This blog has been great fun and I will truly miss it.  The odds are in my favor to get this job, but if for some reason I don't, I'll be back with you next week.

3 comments:

Rich Porayko said...

You got me!

Chuck Knickerbocker said...

Paul - appreciate your willingness to take this on. As a devoted Phillies fan, I can now count the Mets as OUT of it with you at the helm. Bobby Cox is gone, the Nationals won't be a threat. Any suggestions on how to move the Marlins out of the NL East would be appreciated.

Greg Carney said...

Hello Paul, best wishes with your new career :-). If it works out, you will certainly be missed, however, we know you would push for more glass in future stadiums so it could be a good thing!

I am not the "Official Glass and Glazing Consultant to Major League Baseball" but I know who is so give me a call if we can help.

Keep up the entertaining work! I think Deb and the industry would welcome your thoughts even if you step "down" to the Mets GM position!

Greg Carney
C. G. Carney Associates, Inc.